Summer Self-Care: 5 Top Tips For Your Holistic Wellness
This summer is an exciting time. Lockdown restrictions are easing, more and more people are being vaccinated, and after getting to the Euros final we're now smashing the Olympics! While we’re busy outside enjoying the sun and socialising with friends and family, let's also make sure we are taking time to look after ourselves. Here are some of our top tips for practising summer self-care:
1. Drink lots of water. This can be easy to forget, especially when we’re busy having fun in the sun. It’s recommended that we drink two and a half litres of water in summer, half a litre more than the rest of the year. Don’t forget to take your reusable water bottle with you wherever you go! This helps combat tiredness, nourish our minds and keep us fresh and motivated through the long summer days.
2. Keep reapplying sunscreen. This is another thing that can be easy to forget, especially when the obligatory summer tan mantra takes over. But to avoid nasty burns, damage to your skin and the risk of skin cancer, at least factor 30 sun cream should be applied every 2 hours. Opting for some sunglasses and a hat can not only make a look but also protect you from the sun.
3. Sleep. Do you find it harder to get a good night’s sleep during the summer months? If so, you’re not alone. Our sleep cycle can get interrupted by hotter temperatures and sunlight through till later hours.
Try keeping your bedroom as cool and as dark as possible to help reduce that summer stimulus at night. We recommend using CBD oil before bed to aid a deep and relaxed sleep (check out these ones by Our Remedy). In the morning we can use the sun’s bright light to our advantage: opening the curtains wide and going for a walk can help cure grogginess and get us physically and mentally ready for the day.
4. Practice positive body affirmations. After a long lockdown many of us may have noticed a change in our bodies. This might make us anxious about the hot weather, where we have more skin on show... but it’s important to remember that every body is a beach body! Each body is unique and beautiful in its own way. Comparing ourselves with the photoshopped images we see in the media or on Instagram (photo and video editing apps are used for a lot of “authentic” content we see) is a waste of our precious energy.
Let’s embrace our individuality and strive for body positivity by practicing positive body affirmations: I am worthy. My body is powerful. “Flaws” are a man-made construct which keep the trillion dollar diet and beauty industries alive. I deserve to feel good, enjoy this summer and wear whatever I want.
5. Exercise. The ease of lockdown and sunny weather is a perfect time to enjoy getting active. Exercise is good for the mind and the body and can help relieve any stress we may be feeling. But it doesn’t have to feel like a chore! Exercise can be enjoyable and fun. It's up to you what you feel is best – whether that’s swimming, walking with a friend, running, cycling or yoga. Whatever floats your boat and gets you moving this summer!